BOLER TIME: THE REBOOT BEGINS

It’s been a rather productive week.   After my return from Colorado to visit Alison, I got to work on the frame.  Let me add a disclaimer, the work here in my opinion looks pretty sharp, but I will admit that it did not come without its blunders.  First off, I purchased way more material than I needed.  I found another build by a boler owner who used 2x6 1/8 c-channel.  This gave his frame a good level of strength while saving on weight.  I saw this an thought it was a pretty good idea and decided I’d do the same.  When I landed at YVR in Edmonton I went straight to the steel suppliers; however, to my dismay they only stocked 3/16 c-channel which only after buying it and bringing it home did I realize was WAY too heavy.  I settled on 1/8 2x4 rectangular tubing and some 2x2 1/8 we had in the shop.

 

 Luckily I have the old frame close at hand to reference whenever needed.  The skeleton quickly began to develop.  

Luckily I have the old frame close at hand to reference whenever needed.  The skeleton quickly began to develop.  

I decided to put a 4” lift using some of the left over 2x4 tubing, turns out it’s not enough but that will be dealt with later.  Also, one thing I love doing is going about the farm and finding material I can repurpose.  

IMG_1164.JPG
 While moving some surplus construction material I found pieces of angle iron that measured in at 2x4” which was perfect for making the lip to hold the recessed floor of the Boler coach.  

While moving some surplus construction material I found pieces of angle iron that measured in at 2x4” which was perfect for making the lip to hold the recessed floor of the Boler coach.  

This project has given me ample time to work on my welding, I’ve done plenty of welding in my time but one must always strive to improve, I’m getting there.

One great aspect of using c-channel is it would allow me to drill through the frame and access the bolts instead of relying on self-tappers to affix the coach to the frame.  My answer to not having c-channel, cut massive holes in the frame.

After the holes were cut it was on to paint.  I chose not to use spray paint and rolled the paint on to make sure it was nice and thick.

Moment of truth, the coach goes back on.  I ended up doing a decent job of measuring with only a little trouble getting the recessed floor to sink into its new alcove.

 Next I quickly made up a small storage rack where an aluminum box will go to store batteries and extra junk.  

Next I quickly made up a small storage rack where an aluminum box will go to store batteries and extra junk.  

 Welded on a the hitch finally.

Welded on a the hitch finally.

Cut the fender wells.  I imagined many Boler owners screaming at seeing me do this.  While lifting the coach off its frame I managed to crack both fenders;.  I had thought I might cut the fenders to allow for a wider stance later on, turns out I made reason to cut the fenders without really thinking about it.

Now that I'm out of my realm and out of money for the time being I'll park the trailer till seeding 2016 is over and I have time to work on it again.  Next is interior rebuild and electrical, oh what fun!