BOLER TIME: TEAR DOWN

A little over a week ago I migrated with the Boler back to Alberta for the summer.  Leaving the Lower Mainland I was, to be honest, a little skeptical that I'd make it back to Alberta without incident.  I was pleasantly surprised.  Even better, the trailer towed like a champ and the truck barely noticed it.  The only time I noticed a significant change in fuel mileage was through the mountains on the Coquihalla which was to be expected.

I left later than I had intended and therefore arrived in the Jasper area near sundown, where I then chose to stay the night.  That night I stayed for the first time in the Boler, parked right beside Lake Lucerne, not bad digs if you ask me.

I arrived on the farm safely and parked the Boler for the week.  In my previous blog I laid out in short the basic plans I'm looking to achieve this summer on the Boler.  First, Frame Rebuild: It was apparent from the warnings from the previous owner (PO) and the number of patches that I saw on the frame that a full rebuild would be necessary for this project.  

This past week I took the Boler from its parking spot on the farm and pulled it into the shop, intent on removing the frame from the coach.  

After some light reading I learned of the 16 locations along the frame where the coach was secured.  To my dismay, upon removing the first securement, I realized the fiberglass coach is screwed into the frame, not bolted, screwed.  A little insufficient if you ask me.  These mounting locations can be found in a variety of locations including, under the furnace (don't have one), under the refrigerator (pulling it anyway), in the closet (remove a piece of wood, easy), under the front bench seat (aw, crap).  One of the PO's had pulled the front bench and replaced it with a custom built dinette, one of the selling points of the trailer for us, but had conveniently covered up the front mounting locations.  After a brief inspection it was apparent I would have to remove the entire dinette.  It was done like surgery so that I could put it all back together again later.

Once I had located and removed all the screws the frame dropped out easily.  The next task was the more difficult one, pulling the frame out from underneath the coach.  This is when living on a farm becomes quite handy, insert crane.

To be quite honest, it wasn't as good an experience as I make it sound.  I managed to crack the fiberglass wheel well during a stupid lapse of judgement on how I chose to lift the coach.  With the helpful insight of a friend (thank you TJ) I had the coach lifted with no further damage.

On inspection of the old frame I was quite glad I had made the decision to build a new one.  As per mentioned, there were numerous patch jobs, but the worst parts I had completely failed to notice when I was buying.  The original frame had completely broken off at one point and was hastily repaired by welding two plates on either side, simply covering up the cancer (rust) that had caused the problem in the first place.  

With that I got to measuring the old frame and designing a new one.  Excited for what's to come, excited for the end result!